November 9, 2011. Home How-To's
Posted by Hollis
November has hit and it’s starting to get cold out there! With the cold weather comes recipes to warm you up. One of our favourite winter recipes is Old Fashioned Beef Stew.
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cubed
- 3 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
- 12 small boiling onions
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 8 mushrooms, whole or sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt & black pepper
1. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Mix together the flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a separate bowl. Add small portions of meat at a time and mix into the flour mixture until evenly coated; then brown in the hot oil. Remove all the meat once browned.
2. Lower the heat to medium and add the onions. Once they are caramelized, remove them from the pot and set aside.
3. Add carrots, celery, potatoes, onions, meat and add the broth. Stir everything together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 2 hours, covered stirring occasionally.
Need something to serve it in? Try our Hotel Irregular Bowl in large. It’s 15% off along with all of our Dining Furniture and Accents until November 27th.