October 25, 2012. Home How-To's
Posted by Kim
With Hallowe’en just over a week away, I thought I’d share one of my favourite spooky treats – they only take a little more effort (and a piping tip) to make than regular cupcakes, but have a lot more impact on the table!
What you need:
- 12 x vanilla cupcakes (a mix from your supermarket will do just fine, but I like the recipe for Magnolia bakery’s cupcakes myself)
- 24 x green m&ms (yellow can work too)
- 1 x red Fruit by the Foot (or fruit rollup type snack), cut into 1” squares
- 1 tbsp chocolate chips, melted
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp milk
- 3 cups icing sugar (or to taste)
Once your cupcakes are completely cool, start making your icing. It’s super simple:
Mix up your butter, add the vanilla, and start adding the icing sugar. After about a cup of sugar, beat in the milk, and continue to add sugar. I don’t like super sweet icing, so I never add the full amount of any recipe I’ve ever used – I recommend stopping every once in a while and taking a taste until it’s right.
Now the fun part, the decorating!
- Slather a thin layer of frosting on the top of each cupcake – this will keep your mummy’s eyes and mouth in place.
- Using a toothpick, dot “pupils” of melted chocolate onto the green candies, and place them on the cupcakes. The fruit roll up mouths should be placed below them.
To complete the look, the final icing…
I recommend a #45 piping tip, which can be picked up for a few dollars at a Bulk Barn-type store, along with some disposable plastic icing bags. Just snip the end off of your bag, and drop the tip inside – once you’ve pulled the tip snug, your icing bag is ready for use.
Layer on your strips of icing, et voila! Your spooky (and delectable) cupcakes are complete!