April 28, 2016. Uncategorized
Posted by Natalie
A Foodie knows that there is always a reason to throw a party. This week, you have the perfect excuse – it’s Cinco de Mayo on Thursday! Here are some party planning tips for a fool-proof Mexican Fiesta.
Step 1 – The Essentials
Make sure you know how many guests are coming, and review how much seating, glassware and dinnerware you have available. If you don’t have room for more chairs in your dining area, consider adding a pouf (or two!) to the party space. Plan out all your food and drink choices ahead of time, so you can purchase extra dining accessories if needed. This is a great opportunity to have a little fun with your glassware! We love our whimsical glasses with sayings, vintage tumblers, and the ever-popular drinking jar.
Step 2 – Décor
There is nothing wrong with a little kitsch to add some flavour to your party. Think sombreros for your guests, chili pepper decorations, paper flowers, colourful bandanas on a string, balloons in red, white and green. If you really want to go all out, add some mini cacti and bright accent pillows. Just don’t forget the piñata!
Step 3 – Drinks
Here is a favourite margarita recipe of ours for a Spicy Chile Margarita! Can you say Olé?
– .5 oz agave nectar
– 1 pinch red pepper flakes
– 1 pinch chipotle chile powder
– 1 or 2 oz reposado tequila
– .5 oz Grand Marnier
– 1 oz fresh lime juice
In a shaker, muddle the agave nectar, red pepper flakes and chipotle chile powder.Add the remaining ingredients, fill with ice and shake vigorously.Coat the rim of the glass with salt, fill with ice and set aside. Strain the mixture into the prepared glass.Garnish with a red chile pepper.Voila! Make sure to have some chips and guacamole handy, this one has a kick!
Recipe adapted from a Grand Marnier original creation
Step 4 – Taco time!
The perfect party food, tacos easily allow you to prep as much or as little of the ingredients as you need to cater to your number of guests. Here is a delicious recipe from Jamie Oliver’s website for Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa.
– 1 x ripe mango
– 1 x red onion
– ¼ of a cucumber
– ¼ small chunk of red cabbage
– 2 x limes
– Pack of tortilla wraps
– Tilapia fish fillets
– Salt & pepper
– Mexican rub (garlic/pepper/cumin/chilli)
– Olive oil
– Sour cream
Mango salsa & cabbage slaw
1. Prepare the mango salsa and cabbage slaw first so that it’s ready to serve when the fish tacos is cook
2. Cut the mango in half and slice up the mango in cross shaped and then dice up the mango into small pieces.
3. Set aside in a large bowl Peel off the skin of the red onion and chop up majority of the onion finely.
4. Next peel the cucumber and dice up into small pieces.
5. Grab a handful of coriander and chopped it finely. Put all these chopped ingredients into the large bowl with the mangos.
6. Cut 2 limes in half and squeeze 2 tablespoons of lime juice into the salsa mixture.
7. Season it with some salt and pepper.
8. Slice up the red cabbage finely and add it to another bowl and drizzle some cider vinegar and set aside.
1. Heat the frying pan to a medium heat and drizzle some olive oil.
2. Whilst the pan is heating up, season the tilapia fillets with salt and pepper, if you prefer non spicy or you can rub some Mexican rub if you want some kick and hotness in your tacos.
3. Lay the tilapia fillets on the hot frying pan and cook the fish for 2-3 minutes each side.
4. Grab another frying pan and heat it up on medium heat with some drizzle olive oil.
5. Pop the tortilla onto the frying pan for about 30 seconds each side. This will create air bubble pockets in the tortilla to give it some life and freshness.
Remove the tortilla from the frying pan and add the tilapia fish fillets into the middle of the wrap. Add a spoonful of the mango salsa along with the cabbage slaw and roll it up and serve.
Image from Pinterest