November 28, 2016. Home How-To's
Posted by James Smith
Written by Sarah Nellis
During my Twenties, the holidays were a string of Prosecco-fueled parties and heinous hangovers. Those days are long-gone (well, mostly) and with the beginning of my own family, emerged a love of all things festive and homely.
For many of us, Christmas is all about the kids: seeing their little faces light up with joy unwrapping gifts, their spirited attempts at carol singing, feeling the magic and wonder in the build up to the big day and encouraging generosity and kindness (then feeling your heart melt when they offer to give their allowance to the homeless – true story!) So when I read about Urban Barn’s Blanket the Country campaign, I knew I had discovered an ethical brand with incredible style, to share with my friends in Canada.
For most of us, the big day is based around the feast and for me, as well as being a hub for entertainment, a Christmas dinner table is something of an art form. Urban Barn products cleverly blur the lines between the functional and fabulous which is what every modern family needs to have a good time.
Here are my top seven decor inspiration tips for making your yuletide dining table a cracker.
1. First of all, check out Urban Barn’s “How to Happy Holiday” Catalogue here for a wealth of glorious holiday treats.
3. Whether your chosen table decor style is minimalist chic or oozing opulence, a good quality table and chairs is imperative. Think of it as a canvas for your art!
4. Select a combination of old, new and handmade. Nobody wants to replace all of their decorations every single year but it is possible to update your style with new additions and mix-it-up by getting the kids involved in creating handmade items. We like making and decorating baubles. What a fun way to spend wintery nights indoors by the fire! Ideas can be found on Urban barn’s Pinterest page.
5. Create a jaw dropping centerpiece. Urban Barn have some awesome and unique table runners to base your centerpiece. I love the Trellis/Damask runner coupled up with these talking point napkins. Using a pair for symmetry, team these gorgeous Buckley Antler Tealight Holder in Silver with Parisa Candle Holders in Natural for a warm glow, then find your local Urban Barn and accessorize using the seasonal décor delights available in store. I suggest a sumptuous wreath and adorn at your discretion to add sparkle and awe, including handmade baubles for a finishing touch.
6. ‘Tis the season to plan early. With all the effort of trying to beautify your table and create a culinary delight, it is hard not to become stressed, striving for perfection, so start planning early! And if it all gets too much, laugh and focus on the love! Remember flawed is fab too.
7. Lighting is key! Select candles, lamps and lanterns to compliment your décor and produce the heart-warming yet ultra-modern ambiance. I adore the Gemma pendant lamp.
See no.5 for candle suggestions. Start planning as early as possible. Check out their winter catalogue for everything you need to kick-start your imagination and shower your holiday with sparkle.
Wishing you heaps of fun creating your festive masterpiece and I raise a glass to a joyful season and my new favourite brand.