Looking for creative new ways to make your home beautiful and festive? Whether you want to give your home a full makeover for the season or just add a few thoughtful touches, we’re here to help. At yesterday’s Design Session, members of the UB family gathered in stores across the country to learn styling secrets for holiday decorating from local interior designers. In case you missed the session, we’re recapping some of our favourite tips here today!
Curated Colour Palettes
- Decorating within a colour palette is one of the best ways to make your home look like it was styled by a designer. This is especially true for the holidays, when too many themes and colours can overwhelm your living room.
- Don’t be afraid to include non-traditional Christmas colours like blue, or variations on the classics (like pink or burgundy instead of cranberry red).
- Include a mix of warm and cool tones, and at least one neutral. If you’re not a fan of black or white, feature a warm wood colour as the neutral in your palette.
Mantel & Shelf Styling
- Fireplace mantels, sideboards, and bookshelves are the perfect places to design holiday vignettes.
- Choose strategic focal points for your vignettes, like somewhere guests pass as they enter, or a shelf that’s easily visible from your main seating area.
- Group items together in 3 or 5, being sure to include varying heights. Include a light source like candles, table lamps or light-up décor.
- Need a lift? Giftwrap books with ribbon, then stack them to make a raised platform for smaller accents you want to show off.
On the Tree
Texture is the year’s biggest trend, and the perfect way to add designer style to your tree.
Design Your Bar
Turn a sideboard or console table into a self-serve bar where your guests have easy access to drinks and appetizers.
- Choose a specific theme (natural accents and greenery, gold and glitter, vintage Christmas), or use the same colour palette as the rest of your seasonal décor.
- Style a group of three decorative accents (in varying heights and shapes) on each end of the sideboard. Leave the middle free for drinks and snacks by decorating with low accents like garland or tulle.
Build Your Centrepiece
Create a beautiful, unique centrepiece using holiday accents:
- String ornaments together with ribbon for a long centrepiece down the middle of your table.
- Lay ornaments on top of faux foliage in an extra bowl or serving plate.
- Create a modern monochrome arrangement with all white or all black faux foliage.
- Bring organic style to the table with green garland accentuated by colourful seasonal fruits like apples, pomegranates and oranges.
Creative Table Setting
Make dinner memorable before it’s been served with creative table-setting ideas:
- Gift wrap each place setting with tulle
- Use small ornaments to mark place settings (these can double as gifts for your guests)
- Set a monochrome table with accents in all black or white for a modern edge
- Wrap each set of cutlery with faux foliage